Gravina barrier-free tour
- Availability: every day
- Minimum booking: two people
- Children 0-5 years: free tour
- Accessibility: suitable for everyone
- Audio guide: included
- ita | eng
- Difficulty: easy
Art and culture are for everyone, including the disabled. We have created a tour for you.
The tour will begin with a visit to the current cathedral of the city, the Co-cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta. Built right next to the ravine overlooking the city, a true masterpiece belonging to the Norman era, the main place of worship in Gravina and rich in works of art that will leave you speechless. You must also know that under the floor of the Cathedral there is the lower church, with three naves, which was used as an ossuary until 1633.
A little further on, you will reach the Church of the Purgatory, full of works of art that will leave you speechless, built as a family mortuary chapel at the behest of Duke Ferdinand III, and dedicated to Santa Maria del Suffragio for the celebration of masses dedicated to the souls in purgatory. You will be interested to know that after the death of the duke, the duchess enlarged the church by adding the presbytery surmounted by a dome perfectly identical in structure to the dome of San Pietro in Rome.
You will continue the tour with a visit to the Crypt of San Vito Vecchio which, with its frescoes, will allow you to experience total immersion in history. The first figure that will catch your attention, on the back wall, is the great Christ Pantocrator seated on a throne, who blesses with his right hand and with his left hand holds a “Book” open to a passage from the Gospel of St. John.
You will then reach the Ettore Pomarici Foundation Museum, whose foundation was established in 1920 just three years after the death of Baron Pomarici Santomasi, who wanted to leave the gift of his palace and the goods contained therein to the city so that it could become a Museum and Library.
On the ground floor you can visit the rooms where the family’s period clothes are exhibited, on the first floor you can visit the family’s apartment and, finally, on the second floor you can find the museum which houses an archaeological collection with important artifacts found during excavations performed on the Botromagno area.
You will continue the tour reaching the Aqueduct Bridge, located on the ravine of the stream, at the junction of the new city to the old one, several times the protagonist of important film sets, as in the 007 film “No Time to Die”, “Tolo Tolo” by Checco Zalone, “Pinocchio” by Garrone , “The last paradise” by Scamarcio, “Il Capitano Maria”, “Maria Magdalena” and others.
From here, you will proceed until you reach the necropolis of Padre Eterno, first archaeological area excavated by researchers, which takes its name from the Eternal Father church next to which it stands. In addition to being a necropolis, the Eternal Father area was also an inhabited area and it is likely that there was an artisan district given the discovery of cisterns, canalizations, aqueducts, loom weights and furnaces.
- Duration: 4 h
- Minimum booking: two people
- Difficulty level: Easy hiking
- Accessibility: Suitable for people with walking difficulties
- Free tour for children up to 5 years
- 50% reduction for children 6-12 years
- 30% reduction for teenagers 13-17 years
- Weekend booking: 10% surcharge
- Pets Allowed
- Show up 10 minutes before the starting time of the booked tour
- The itineraries and the duration of the excursions may undergo changes, be canceled, or postponed in case of adverse weather conditions
- The meeting point is fixed at the IAT office in Gravina ( Maps )
- Professional smartphone audio guide for Gravina
- Entrance ticket to tourist sites
- Tourist guide
Covid-19 prevention measures:
- Compulsory mask
- The number of visitors allowed is limited in order to avoid crowds
Terms of cancellation:
- Requests for cancellation must be communicated in a timely manner via email to the address email@example.com
- You can cancel your reservation without cost up to 48 hours before the activity
If you cancel your reservation with less time, arrive late or do not show up, no refund will be made.